Here are 10 things you might not have known about high-intensity interval workouts:
- One of the founding concepts is Tabata training (20 seconds of high-intensity activity followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated 8 times for a total of 4 minutes).
- Can double your metabolic rate in only 30 minutes.
- Has a profound effect on short-term, post-exercise metabolism. Think more calories burned for longer periods of time!
- Can benefit even well-conditioned athletes.
- Leads to drastic training improvements in shorter amounts of time.
- Each set can be made up of the same exercise, or the sets can be varied.
- Great for busy people – maximum efficiency, in a minimal amount of time.
- Burns fat more effectively than traditional aerobic workouts.
- May help prevent Type 2 diabetes.
- Reduced cardiovascular disease indicators in adolescents.
My personal training philosophy is built upon the principles of high intensity interval workouts. If you’d like to learn more, give me a call. I’d be happy to discuss how this method can benefit your workout routine!
Photo/workout courtesy of youmefit.com.