It’s cold and flu season. It can be hard to stay well when everywhere you turn, there are germs! Luckily, there are a few, easy lifestyle tips that can help reduce your chance of illness:
1. Exercise moderately. As little as 20 minutes a day of moderate exercise a day can help boost your immune system! Even better, exercising also helps prevent more serious and long-term diseases such as cancer and osteoporosis.
2. Practice meditation. Focusing the mind supports your immune system. Start with as little as 5 minutes a day of meditation and then add on more time as you get more comfortable. Don’t forget, meditation doesn’t have to be an activity that occurs only at the beginning or end of the day. You can get a few minutes of practice in at break periods in your hectic day!
3. Eat well. Maintaining a healthy diet, particularly one filled with greens (which help immune cells function properly) will help boost your immunity. In addition, getting extra vitamin C, garlic, and astragalus if you feel slightly under the weather can help your body fight against germs and lessen the severity of your symptoms.
4. Get plenty of sleep. A good night’s sleep is paramount to avoiding illness! Make sure that you’re allowing your body to get enough rest, especially when germs are more prevalent. Sleep deprivation lowers our natural ability to fight infections.
5. Stay connected. Don’t allow yourself to become socially isolated because the weather has you trapped, or cause you to become less active. Human connection strengthens our immune systems. So, make sure you’re reaching out to your loved ones and connecting with friends, except perhaps, if they’re sick already!
Do you have a favorite tip for staying healthy? Please share in the comment section below.