Looking to slim down before the New Year? Sometimes, your metabolism just needs a kick start! Your metabolism is the rate at which your body burns calories. Many factors can affect your metabolic rate, including gender and age. You’ve likely heard that your metabolism slows as you age. However, that’s not necessarily the case. As we age, we often slow down our activity levels. As our activity decreases, so does our metabolism. By keeping active, you can help combat the effects of age and gender.
Here are key ways to build your body’s fuel burning capacity.
- Increase EPOC (excessive post oxygen consumption) by doing the following:
- Opt for high intensity cardio intervals over continuous exercise
- Choose high intensity strength training over cardio for EPOC
- Research has shown that resting metabolic rates are higher in individuals with more muscle. Your activated muscles will help you burn calories throughout the day.
- Metabolic rates stay elevated longer with higher intensity workouts, so don’t skimp on your effort level!
- Keep an eye on how often you eat and drink.
- It’s important to stay hydrated, with water. Water is essential for your cells to process nutrients properly. Consuming at least eight glasses a day is recommended.
- Eat small meals, more frequently. By eating every 3-4 hours, you will help keep your metabolism active throughout the day.
- Consider black coffee for a short term boost. Or, choose green tea for a longer-lasting metabolic pick-me up.
- Choose more proteins. Your body requires more energy to break down protein-rich foods than it does for carbohydrates or fats.
If you’d like to learn more about how your exercise and diet choices effect your metabolism, give me a call. I’d be happy to discuss how you can get the most out of your workout!